Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tulsa ice storm and feeding the wildlife










Day 2 of the major ice storm in January 09. Thank the Creator we still have power but that could change at any time, so we are as prepared as we can be, without having a generator, which I find hard to spend the money on, for a few days use each year. We have a gas fireplace, which I can also burn wood in, if necessary.





I always have extra food and supplies, flashlights with batteries, candles, and lots of warm blankets ! Last year, during the ice storm, Don had to work, Britt stayed with a friend who had power and I kept the house as warm as I could. I closed off the doors I could into the living room, kept the fire burning and was comfortable.





The schools are closed today and tomorrow, so as long as we have power, Britt will play on the computer, watch TV or just chill, and since I found out this morning at the doctor's that she has bronchitis again, for the 2nd time since Oct, this down time is a good thing for her. More on Britt later.





Back to the ice . . . I feed the birds, squirrels, rabbits and whatever other wildlife that comes to my yard (to the dismay of my neighbors, at times, lol). Today, I fed 3 times, because each time I looked outside, the birds were just thick, and I know with the cold, they need extra food and water. And today, I truly saw the circle of life . . . I heard what I thought was one of the jays that feed here, but when I went to look, I saw a beautiful red tail hawk, who had just brought down one of my doves that stay near the house. This may sound harsh, but the hawks have to eat too, and I have been supplying a virtual buffet to feed from. I expect, with this weather continuing, he will be back tomorrow for seconds.

First picture is yesterday afternoon, with birds eating in front yard, the second picture is the bush by the front door this afternoon and then there is the pic of my visiting hawk










No comments: